First things first. These are extraordinary times. It’s not easy. There is a ton of uncertainty. It can make anyone feel stuck, trapped, or powerless. But, you have to focus on what you can control and be grateful for what you do have. From there, you’ll have more room to breathe and be able to take some action, no matter how small, to ensure you survive and maybe even thrive in this unprecedented time.
1. Take care of yourself.
- Wash your hands
- Do some yoga (Yvonne Cone online yoga sessions)
- Cook some food, make some soup, make some tea ( follow actor Kim Wuan on IG making great meals @mealprepfairy)
- Sleep. Go to bed early.
- Vocal rest.
- Clean your space.
- Therapy. I’ve mentioned before but now is the time to take this seriously. Get started for free.
2. Improve your self tape skills
You can watch the live video of these steps here.
4. Update your reel.
- Join Masterclass – See the review at actorceo.com/masterclass and you can even split the cost with a friend to then both have access!
- Join Mike Pointer’s free Live Commercial Acting Webinar here: https://www.heyisawyourcommercial.com/live-webinars he is the best in the biz. Mike joined me in episode 111
- Listen to some amazing acting books as audio books! I have a list of 15 of them including books by Uta Hagen, Brian Cranston, Jenna Fischer, and more. Head to actorceo.com/blog and look for the Audio Books list.
5. Create your voice over reel.
- Actor CEO has interviewed VO Casting director Andy Roth and voice over artists including Elizabeth Maxwell who gave a great rundown of how she created her own VO reel from scratch. Find it in episode 08 or visit the Youtube channel at youtube.com/mikemorenoactorceo to watch a clip where she explains her process.
- If you want help making one Shake Salk from Shane Salk productions in Los Angeles can help you! Find him online or on Facebook or Instagram
6. Improve your marketing materials
- Create some postcards or flyers. Even the templates. I’ve used Moo.com and you can head to actorceo.com/blog and look for the article Do Actors Need Business Cards to save yourself $15 bucks or more on your order!
- Create a digital marketing kit or an EPK (Electronic Press kit) of your materials, your brand, your pitch, etc.
- Set yourself up to use Facebook and Instagram ads to get your work in front of the people you want to see it. You can join the Facebook Group Facebook Ads for Actors, Artists and Filmmakers for more info!
7. Educate yourself
8. Improve your marketable skills outside of acting.
- Be it design, coaching, health and wellness, construction, whatever, now is your chance to improve it and begin to build a legit side hustle that works with your acting career.
9. Handle your finances!
- Do your taxes. My guy Dominic Comperatore is an actor and Tax Preparer who does actor taxes. He’s quick, outstanding, and KNOWS ACTORS. Empiretaxprep.com to get him and tell him Actor CEO sent you.
- We have Actor Taxes episodes. Ep. 27 with Dominic and ep. 103 with Sandra Karas who does actor taxes and more specifically has been on SAGs board, helps with Equity’s VITA program, and has been fighting to improve tax law for artists for decades!
- Meet with a Financial Coach WHO KNOWS actors for free. Head to The Institute of Financial Wellness for the Arts (theifwa.com) to get your free spot with an expert in ARTIST FINANCES and tell them ActorCEO sent you.
10. Plan out your next 5 months in the next 5 days.
- For those of you who have taken the 5 day challenge you know how powerful it can be to have goals, strategies, and actions you can take over the next 5 months to get you closer to where you want to be, build the career you desire, and actually feel like you have some control over your creative life. actorceo.com/5daychallenge for more.
There ya go! You may come out of this Coronavirus scare even better than you went it. But one thing’s for sure, you do not have to feel paralyzed or unproductive. The world over is in desperate need of storytellers now and in the future to share the human experience of what we are all living though. Be sure to take stock in your part in this and step up where you can to ensure you can continue to bring your light to the world after we regain equilibrium.