Keeping you informed and action ready is our goal at Actor CEO. We support that goal through partnerships and affiliate links like the ones that may appear in this article.
This article is for actors or artists looking to start auditioning for voice over work and want to get good voice over equipment without breaking the bank.
While there are a number of different factors that go into building a solid voice over career (nothing happens overnight) including practice and training, focusing on type and genre of work, building industry relationships, and improving the quality of your recording space and equipment, in this post I will only focus on the microphone.
The microphone is the keystone to your recording abilities. While improving your space will always help your recordings (a quiet place in your house, away from windows, sound dampening material, etc) a bad mic can ruin all your good efforts.
So let’s cover the best voice over mics you can get for under $300.
1) The Rode NT1
- Features a sound signature reminiscent of the famous microphones of old while at the same time exhibiting extremely low noise; Ultra-low noise, self noise of only 4.5dB (A)
- The transducer is suspended inside the microphone using Rycote’s Lyre system, minimizing external vibrations at the capsule level
- Coated in a durable, military-grade ceramic layer to ensure an extremely hard wearing finish that is resistant to scratches or marks
- NOTE: This product is a condenser microphone which requires phantom power to operate properly
- Professional cardioid condenser microphone capsule
- Pure digital connection for pristine sound quality up to 24-bit/ 96kHz
- 46dB of mic preamp gain, digitally controlled for greater precision
- Powerful headphone output with blend feature for zero latency recording
- No configuration required, just plug in and record
- Condenser microphone with USB output for digital recording
- High quality A/D converter with 16 bit, 44.1/48 kiloHertz sampling rate for superb audio
- Headphone jack with volume control allows you to monitor the microphone signal with no delay
- Mix control allows you to blend your microphone signal and pre recorded audio
- High output internal headphone amplifier delivers superior clarity and musical detail as well as more volume overall
- Compatible with Windows 7, Vista, XP, 2000 and Mac OS X
- Technically advanced large diaphragm tensioned specifically to provide smooth, natural sonic characteristics
- Externally polarized (DC bias) true condenser design, Exceptionally low noise, wide dynamic range and high SPL capability for greatest versatility
- Transformerless circuitry virtually eliminates low frequency distortion and provides superior correlation of high speed transients
- Precision machined, nickel plated brass, acoustic element baffle provides enhanced element stability and optimal sensitivity
- State of the art surface mount electronics ensure compliance with A T’s stringent consistency and reliability standards
5) Blue Yeti
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Blue Microphones Yeti Microphone (Blackout), Pop Filter, and 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
- DESIGNED FOR EASY STREAMING: Built-in metal stand gives you an easy control and adjustability so that the angle of the mic is exactly where you need it. Plug your headphones into the no-latency headphone port and adjust the volume so that you can hear your voice in real time
- CAPTURE YOUR VOICE: Whether you plan to record a single source or multiple sources, the Yeti mic gives you flexibility with two pickup-pattern modes to choose from
- CARDIOID MODE: Cardioid mode is perfect for podcasts with a single host, game streaming, Skype calls, vocal performances, voiceovers and instruments
- OMNIDIRECTIONAL MODE: Omnidirectional mode is best used when you want to have a conference call with multiple participants in the same room, or record a multi-person interview for a podcast.
Here are some additional accessories that will help your voice over set up.
- 【Two-screen Pop Filters】 The first screen blocks air blasts as any pop filter normally would; The gap in between then disperses any remaining air pressure, so by the time it passes the second screen, the blast is easily contained.Efficiently reduce the plosive, wind interference, saliva spraying during your recording or broadcasting, get a clear and loud sound.
- 【Adjustable Gooseneck】The pop filter has a flexible 360° gooseneck clip stabilizing arm that can support its own weight and enough to hold the microphone stand and the inner rubber ring is perfectly matched to your microphone.
- 【MULTI-SCENE APPLICATION】:Studio microphone mic wind screen pop filter mask shied is essential item for recording, speaking or singing; can be used for singing, voiceover, podcasts, vlogging and anywhere else you need quality sound.
- 【Functions】 Banish the dreaded hissing and lisping sounds that come when pronouncing the letter “”S”” and blocks those ugly “”plosives”” that follows “”B”” and “”P””.Swivel mount for easy installation.
- 【PACKAGE & GUARANTEE】:1 X Pop Filter.If you have any problem after receive this item, please don’t hesitate to contact us, we will try our best to resolve all issues.
This link will take you to a list of different microphone stands so you can pick the best one for your space. Whether you hand the pic from above, stand it on a table or need a weighted bottom there are many options on the Amazon page.
Some microphones will use XLR as their cable and not be USB compatible. If that is the case then you will need a device like this interface to capture the audio and bring it into your computer. An additional advantage of using an interface is having more accurate control of your audio levels before the enter your computer.