The Barrow Group: Acting Classes and Training in New York City – What You Need to Know
Actor Training at The Barrow Group
The Barrow Group is perhaps most widely known for exceptional actor training with alumni that includes Anne Hathaway and Tony Hale.
From the website: The Barrow Group is an award-winning theatre company and training center located in the heart of New York City. Founded in 1986, The Barrow Group’s artistic programs consist of producing an annual Mainstage Season, a Developmental program that cultivates original stories and the artists who tell them, and a Training Center that supports thousands of artists from a wide range of backgrounds, identities, and experience levels a year. We strive to offer the most accessible programs possible, keeping our prices low and offering a robust diversity scholarship program for underserved artists.
The Barrow Group provides multiple acting classes including a year-long program and youth acting camps. Some of the classes are listed below. For a full list of classes view the training page on the website.
- Beginners Acting Class I: The Basics
- Beginners Acting Class II: Getting Specific
- Beginners Acting Class III: On-Going Scene Study
- Beginners Acting Class III: Film/TV
- Beginners Acting Class III: Business of Acting
- Beginners Acting Class IV: On-Going Film/TV
- Beginners Acting Class IV: Theatre Performance
- Intermediate Scene Study I: Introduction to an Approach
- Intermediate Scene Study II: Exploring the Tools
- Intermediate Scene Study III: Self Assessment
- Professional Scene Study Intensive I: The Tools
- Professional Scene Study Intensive II: Self-Adjustment
- Professional Study Intensive III: On-Going
- Professional Study Intensive: IV: Theatre Performance
- Master Classes w/ Seth Barrish & Lee Brock
Writing, Directing and Filmmaking Classes
The Barrow Group also provides extraordinary training in playwriting, scriptwriting, directing for both the stage and screen as well as filmmaking classes. You can find a full list of available classes here.
You can hear how the co-founder Seth Barrish started The Barrow Group here in episode 137 of The Actor CEO Podcast (30 mins.)
Seth Barrish is an actor, director, co-artistic director of The Barrow Group in NYC and the author of An Actor’s Companion: Tools for the working actor. Seth appears as an actor regularly in film and television, and as a director he is most well known for his work with Mike Birbiglia and Martin Moran. Founded in 1986 by an ensemble of actors and directors, The Barrow Group has produced award winning shows as well as receiving a Drama Desk award for Off-off Broadway Excellence.
“Take some bull by the horns…it seems to lead to good things.”
The Barrow Group actor training prides itself on holding the following values:
- We value offering programs that are inclusive, that reflect the diversity of New York City and the world, and that have meaningful impact on our community.
- We value spontaneous and lively performance onstage, because we believe it generates a vital artist-audience connection that gives audiences an unforgettable experience.
- We value well-told stories, because they have the capability to enlighten, inspire, foster community, and energize people to do great things.
- We value the training and self-empowerment of future arts professionals.
- We value achieving the highest professional quality in a supportive working environment, and expect excellence from the artists, staff and volunteers with whom we work.
- We value, as a not-for-profit institution, reliably stewarding public trust and the resources provided to us by our community.
Class Schedule and Basic Information About the Barrow Group
The Barrow Group is located at:
520 8th Ave, #901
New York, NY 10018
You can contact The Barrow Group here:
Email them here!
You can find the most updated class schedule for the Barrow Group here!
Find more at theBarrowGroup.org.